(Original Post Date: May 17, 2010)
So I decided to try to make chocolate muffins - but not with too much sugar, to avoid this truly being “cake” for breakfast. The spices in this recipe give just a little kick of flavor, but not over the top.
Double Chocolate Spice Muffins:
- 1 2/3 c. flour
- 1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 T. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. ground mace
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 c. plain yogurt
- 6 T. canola oil
- 3 T. molasses
- 2/3 c. mini chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a 12 cup muffin pan with paper cupcake liners.
2. Sift the flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt, and spices in a large bowl.
3. In a second bowl, combine the brown sugar, eggs, yogurt, oil, and molasses. Mix well.
4. Form a well in the center of the dry ingredients, and pour the wet ingredients into the center. Quickly mix together until just combined, then stir in the chocolate chips. (Do not overmix).
5. Divide the batter into the 12 muffin cups, and bake for 16-18 minutes at 400 degrees. Remove and cool on a wire rack.