(Original Post Date: August 27, 2010)
Do you ever feel like being lazy? Sometimes I feel like eating cake… but I’m just not motivated enough to pull out my super secret cookbook and bake a whole cake from scratch. During those times, I cheat.
Who says you can’t get a good cake out of a mix? This easy Pina Colada cake is a pinch to make with just a few pantry ingredients.
Easy Pina Colada Cake:
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 can pineapple
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 c. oil
- 2 T. dark rum
- 1 can canned coconut cream pie filling, 1/4 c. removed
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 12 oz. cream cheese
- 1 1/3 c. powdered sugar
- 1/4 c. coconut cream pie filling
- 1 1/2 c. shredded coconut
1. Preheat oven to 350. Grease two 9″ round cake pans.
2. Drain the pineapple juice from the can into a measuring cup. You should have about 3/4 c. of juice. Chop up the remaining pineapple, and add to the measuring cup until you have just a little over 1 1/4 c. Set aside the remaining pineapple for other use.
3. Combine the cake mix, pineapple juice + chopped pineapple, eggs, oil, and rum into a smooth batter.
4. Divide the batter between the two cake pans.
5. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes. Remove and allow to cool in the pans for 5 minutes before inverting to a wire rack. Cool completely before frosting.
6. Allow the cream cheese to sit on the counter until room temperature. Combine with powdered sugar and the reserved 1/4 c. coconut cream pie filling until a smooth frosting.
7. Place 1 layer of cake on a large plate. Top with the coconut cream pie filling. Place the second layer of cake on top. Frost the sides and top with the cream cheese frosting. Holding the cake over a large bowl, apply the shredded coconut to the sides, and the sprinkle the remaining coconut on the top of the cake.