(Original Post Date: September 26, 2010)
Today was my good friend’s baby shower. She’s having a girl, and I thought these cookie mixes for “Cowgirl Cookies” would make a really cute party favors. Since the mom and dad-to-be have the last name “Ko”, we thought it would be even cuter to re-name them “KOwgirl Cookies.”
I deviated a little bit from the original cookie mix recipe and didn’t include the nuts (you never know these days with nut allergies), and changed the ratio of M&M’s to chocolate chips. The mix was layered into a dozen quart sized Mason Jars (I found them in my regular supermarket on the baking aisle), and topped with a square of bandana fabric and a pretty ribbon.
Of course, when I got home from the baby shower, I couldn’t resist baking up a batch…
- 1 1/3 c. flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 c. rolled oats
- 1/3 c. pink M&Ms
- 1 c. chocolate chips
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1/2 c. butter, melted
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
1. To make the cookie mix, layer all dry ingredients in a quart sized Mason jar. (Make sure you really pack the flour down or you will not have enough space for the remaining ingredients.)
2. Attach a label to the jar instructing:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Stir dry ingredients in a large bowl and add: 1/2 cup butter (almost melted), 1 slightly beaten egg, 1 tsp vanilla extract, combine thoroughly. Rill into 1 1/2 inch balls & bake for 10 minutes.
3. To make them, dump the jar ingredients into a large bowl.
4. Melt the butter in the microwave, mix in the egg, and vanilla. Then pour into the dry ingredients and combine.
5. Roll the dough into 1 1/2 inch balls and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
6. Bake for 10-11 minutes. Remove and cool 1 minute before removing from the cookie sheet to cool.