(Original Post Date: April 17, 2010)
What is Harumaki? It’s a Japanese Spring Roll. And what would a Mika recipe be without the use of Spam? Haha! Now that I’m on a Spam kick, I seem to be finding myself using it in everything pork-related these days…
- 1 can Spam Lite
- 9 oz raw pork loin (2 small pork loins, fat trimmed off)
- 1 c. shitake mushrooms
- 1 can (8 oz) bamboo shoots
- 3 stalks green onions
- 1 1/2 T. soy sauce
- 2 T. sugar
- 1 T. sesame oil
- 2 T. potato starch
- 2 T. water
- 1 pkg. spring roll wrappers
1. Finely slice shitake mushrooms, bamboo shoots, and green onions.
3. Heat 1 T. canola oil in a large wok. Cook the spam and pork on medium high heat until fully cooked.
4. Add the shitake mushrooms, bamboo shoots, soy sauce, and sugar, cook for 2-3 minutes.
5. Mix the potato starch into water, and add to the wok, cook 1 more minute.
6. Allow the harumaki filling to cool to room temperature.
10. Fry 3 harumaki at a time, 2-3 minutes, until golden brown. Drain on a metal rack over paper towels.