Homemade Glazed Donuts (Krispy Kreme Doughnut Copycat Recipe)

Print Friendly

Homemade Glazed Donuts (Krispy Kreme Donut Copycat Recipe)

Six years ago, when we first moved to North County San Diego, there was a Krispy Kreme Doughnut shop less than a mile from our house.  It was awesome!  When the “Hot Doughnuts Now” sign was flashing, we would go through the drive through and pick up a box (or two).  And weekend mornings… we would stop in for their $1.99 special of two donuts and a cup of coffee (my husband’s favorite – sweet, and cheap).  Not too long afterwards, that location shut down unexpectedly (I don’t know why – they were always busy, always crowded).  I still remember the look on my husband’s face when we pulled up in the parking lot and realized it was out of business…

In order to get our Krispy Kreme fix these days, we have to wait until we are going up to Orange County and stop at the Krispy Kreme in Mission Viejo on our way home – which is not that often.  So basically, we never get to eat donuts anymore.  :(

A few days ago my husband was reminiscing (or whining – whatever you want to call it) about how much he misses the Krispy Kreme we used to have in our town.  Since I had perfected my soft bread-like recipes – including Japanese Milk Bread, An Pan (Red Bean Buns), Cream Pan (Custard Buns), Pineapple Buns/Melon Pan, and Coconut Milk Bread… I figured, donuts should be pretty easy since the dough is similar.

I did make a mistake though.  The first time I made these donuts, I used bread flour – which works great in actual “bread” – but is not so good for donuts.  They ended up a little bit too chewy – good, but not perfect.  Last night I made these again – this time using lower protein all purpose flour (less protein means less gluten development – which gives a softer, less chewy texture to the dough).  After my husband ate the 4th donut (silently, with no comments) – I knew this recipe was a winner!  Now we can have donuts whenever we want!

(This recipe has been featured by the Huffington Post’s Kitchen Daily section as “13 Donut Recipes worth lusting over“.  Thanks so much to the Life & Style editors who selected my recipe as one of the 13!)

Dough:

Tang Zhong (Water Roux) bread enhancer - gives the dough a soft fluffy texture.

• 2 1/2 c. all purpose flour

• 1 c. water

Glaze:

• 2 c. powdered sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 2 T. water

1.  Make the tangzhong and the dough.  For detailed instructions, see my post on Japanese Milk Bread (this is the same dough recipe – just with all purpose flour instead of bread flour).  Basically, the tangzhong is a water roux made from cooking the flour and water over medium heat until thick and swirl lines appear – then you let it cool.  Then, dump all of the dough ingredients into a bread machine, and set it to the “basic dough” function.  (You can make this dough by hand or in a stand mixer with a dough hook – knead about 15 minutes until the dough can be stretched to form a windowpane.  Cover and allow to rise 45 minutes, then punch down and allow to rise another 30-45 minutes.)

2.  When the dough is done, roll it out into a rectangle on a floured surface – somewhere between 1/4 inch and 1/2 inch thick.

3.  Use a large 3″ round biscuit or cookie cutter to cut large circles, then use a smaller 1″ cutter to cut the middle.  I got about 14 donuts from my dough.  (With the remaining dough scraps you can knead them together and use to make dinner rolls or a small loaf of milk bread.  Or, you CAN re-roll the scraps and cut out more donuts if you like – but I wouldn’t re-roll the scraps more than once, otherwise the dough will get too tough.  If you re-roll the scraps for donuts, you might need more glaze – consider doubling the glaze recipe so that you have enough.)

4.  Use a flat spatula to move the cut out donuts to a floured baking sheet.  Cover loosely with plastic wrap (don’t let the donuts touch each other!), then set in a warm place to rise for about 1 hour, loosely covered with plastic wrap.  (I put them in a cold oven, close the door, and turn on the oven light – the heat from the light is usually enough to make a nice environment for the rising donut dough.)

5.  Make the glaze by whisking all the ingredients together.

6.  Heat about 1-2″ of oil in a large pot or pan.  (I used canola oil, and decided to fry the donuts in a wok.)  Heat the oil up to about 375 degrees F (190 degrees Celsius) – this is the proper temperature for deep frying.

7.  Carefully lower a few donuts into the hot oil, and fry for 30-45 seconds.

8.  Insert a chopstick into the hole, then flip over.  Fry for another 30-45 seconds, then remove to a rack to cool.

9.  When done – and cool enough to handle without burning your fingers, dunk each donut halfway into the glaze to coat.

10.  Flip over, then set on a clean rack – allow the glaze to set for about 5 minutes before serving.  It’s best to make these right before you want to eat them so that they are fresh.

Comments

1. Mary R says:

You’ve done it again! These look awesome, and I have to make them. I’m not sure where I can get the tangzhong here though. Did you buy it at asian grocery?

• Mika Mika says:

Hey Mary – No, the tangzhong is something you make (it’s really simple). You just mix 1/3 c. of flour and 1 c. of water in a small sauce pan, and heat while whisking over medium heat. Once it thickens and swirl lines appear, turn off the heat… and you’re done! It’s enough tangzhong for 2 batches of donuts – you can store the leftover in the refrigerator for a few days.

2. lesly says:

Ive tried your recipe just this morning and its so amazing :) i love the results …. my donuts are soft and fluffy.. :) thanks for your recipe .. il be making donuts as often as often as possible :)

3. Daphne says:

I have tried your milk bread recipe. Thank you it is just awesome. My bread came out soft andmoist. I used all purpose flour with 2 tsp guten. I will be making more of this bread . P.S. How can I double the recipe to make more than just the 4 mini loaves. I usedmy breadman machine to knead the dough . It makes it so much easier.

Daphne,
      Regarding your question on Japanese Milk bread… I don’t think this recipes turns out as well when you double it. For starters, it will overflow the bread machine (if you double it) if you are making dough using that method. It would probably work out better just to do two batches, back to back.

4. Amy says:

I tried your recipe today and the texture of the donuts is awesome.. soft and fluffy. My question is how do you move the doughnut (after the second rise) into the oil without mishape the dough. Mine kinda deflate as I touch it and doesn’t retain it original round shape. I put the doughnut ring on a parchment paper instead of floured baking sheet.. ( don’t know if that make any different) .Or is it because I let it rise longer than 1 hour? Do you fry the donut ball? Mine browned on one side but refuse to be flip over to be brown on the other side unless I press it down into the oil. Also my doughnuts look rather oily after being fried (unlike your picture). Is it how it suppose to look? I fried them in 370 degree. Again, thank for posting the recipe. I tried your Japanese coconut bread and loved it.

5. Mika Mika says:

Amy,
    You definitely want to let the donuts rise on a well-floured surface, otherwise they will stick and lose shape when you move them. I usually slide a thin metal spatula under the risen donut, and carefully transfer into the oil so they don’t lose shape. Make sure your oil is hot enough – at 375 degrees – if the oil is not hot enough your donuts will absorb too much oil and turn out greasy. After frying, make sure you let them drain on a rack – you can pat them with paper towels to remove more oil if you like. I typically don’t fry the donut holes… I save the dough scraps for other uses like dinner rolls, etc. Glad you like the recipe… Let me know how your next batch turns out! :)

6. I really like the hint about turning on the oven light to create just enough heat to help the doughnuts rise. Love this recipe!

7. jay says:

Have you tried oven baking these donuts instead of frying?

Jay,
      No – I haven’t tried baking them. I know deep frying makes donuts somewhat unhealthy… but well, with donuts, that’s the point! ;) It tastes good because it’s fried! If it wasn’t fried, it would just taste like bread with sugar glaze. But if you feel like trying it… let me know how it turns out! :)

8. I saw your recipe reposted on http://www.mythirtyspot.com/2012/06/krispy-kreme-copycat-recipe-for.html and squealed in my head, “I KNOW MIKA! I KNOW MIKA!”

Man, I am a dork.

9. Stacie says:

We were so excited to make these but they didn’t turn out like Krispy Kreme at all. :( The dough seemed way too sticky & didn’t rise like normal dough should. I followed the recipe exactly but we ended up having to add flour in order to roll it out because it was just a pile of goo. Any ideas on how to fix this?!

Hi Stacie,
      There could be a number of things wrong. First of all, was your yeast fresh? If your yeast organisms are dead, you won’t get any CO2 gas to create your leavening action. Second, did you wait until the tangzhong was cool before you mixed your dough ingredients together? If the tangzhong is straight out of the hot pan, it could also kill your yeast. Third, were you using a bread machine to make this or an alternative method? A bread machine will give you a perfect rise almost every time… I’ve never had this recipe fail. If your dough is too sticky, it sounds like you might have too much moisture… did you cook the tangzhong long enough so that it was thick (stopping the cooking only once swirl lines appear)? Lastly, while your dough is rising, you want to make sure you do this in a warm draft free environment. If it is too cold, your yeast will go to sleep instead… and you won’t get very much of a rise. Also, check your measuring cups to make sure you are using the right one… the dough is sticky, but it is definitely a dough… it should not resemble “goo” at all. Hope this helps!

10. idowu says:

what bdoes 4T represent I AM currently making the mixture now. i am from London and our measurement differ.

• Mika Mika says:

“T.” is the standard abbreviation for “Tablespoon”.
      “tsp.” is the standard abbreviation for “teaspoon”.

The metric equivalent is about 15mL for 1 Tablespoon.

11. Frankie says:

What if you don’t have a bread machine ?

• Mika Mika says:

If you don’t have a bread machine, you can make the dough by hand or using a dough hook attachment on a stand mixer. See the instructions in #1 above. :)

12. Iman Akef says:

I just tried this recipe on Friday, and while the texture of the donuts was one of the best (soft and fluffy) I ever made, I had the same problem as Stacie; the dough was too sticky and I had to add nearly double the amount of flour. I know as the flour increases it might yield a tougher dough so I didn’t want to add too much flour, but working with a sticky dough was very hard and the donuts couldn’t hold their shape as I couldn’t shape them properly. Could this be because I used active dry yeast so the liquid increased as i needed to proof them first, or because I used melted butter? I would love to try them again but I am afraid they would turn out to be a disaster like the last time; please help :)

• Mika Mika says:

Hi Iman! Yes, the dough is sticky… but if you make the dough according to the recipe instructions (exactly as written), the dough shouldn’t be that hard to work with. Once you cut the shapes, you need to handle them delicately, using a spatula to move them – not your hands. I always use active dry yeast and never add additional liquid to proof the dough. Add the yeast DRY to the ingredients. If you give the dough the proper time to rise, then your dough should be fine – sticky and delicate… but not overly so. If you increase the liquid in this recipe (which you shouldn’t do), then your resulting dough will be too wet and difficult to work with. It is necessary to have a soft and delicate dough if you want your doughnuts to be soft and delicate. Hope this helps! :)

13. vtree says:

I tried the recipe weeks ago and it was very sticky. I had to add flour to work it out. But I think I measured the butter too much and I was making it in a hurry in the morning and manually kneading by hand. It turned out just fine, not as fluffy and airy as I expected, but soft enough and eatable :p.
    I’d like to give it another try using handmixer, but I don’t want to make it in a hurry. Can I leave the dough overnight and fry it the next morning?
    thanks

• Mika Mika says:

Hi there! Did you follow the recipe exactly as instructed? I know several people who have contacted me mentioned that they added a “proofing” step (which my recipe does not require) which resulted in sticky dough. The dough should be slightly sticky, but not overly so. If you add too much flour, your dough will turn out too stiff and the donuts will not be light and fluffy. The dough also needs time to rise under appropriate environmental conditions. You need to make sure that your yeast is fresh, and active – if you start out with dead yeast, the dough will not rise properly. Regarding leaving the dough overnight, I wouldn’t do that. You don’t want to leave the dough for too long after rising before frying… if you leave yeast dough too long, gluten begins to develop, and you will end up with donuts that are too chewy – and not in a good way.

14. I WANT TO MAKE THE GLAZE BUT I AM AFRAID IT WANT BE RIGHT. tHE LITTLE MOISTURE THAT GOES IN THE SUGAR DOES NOT SEEN TO BE ENOUGH. THE PICTURE HAS A LOT OF GLAZE IN IT.

• Mika Mika says:

Hi Helene! Have you ever made glaze with powdered sugar before? I know the ratio seems low, but powdered sugar has a tendency to melt right into the liquid in a glaze recipe… it reacts more like sugar, and doesn’t react at all like you would expect flour to react. The exact amount will depend on the humidity and temperature in your kitchen… but you can always add more water (1/2 tsp. at a time) if you feel like it’s too dry. Whenever I make a glaze, I use the ratio of 1 c. powdered sugar for 1 T. (that’s Tablespoon, not teaspoon) of liquid… and it ends up nice and thin like in the picture. Make sure you stir it really well with a fork or a whisk before deciding to add more liquid. Hope this helps! :)

15. William Householder says:

Even making mistakes in the handling of the shaped doughnuts these came out delicious. They’re far better than Krispy Kremes – they’re super light and fluffy but with a MUCH better, richer texture than almost any doughnut I’ve had, none-the-less made.

Thanks a ton – this will be in my arsenal from now on.

16. Sandy Anderson says:

Made these a couple days ago and my husband took them to a meeting that evening. Got nothing but raves! Thank you so much for this recipe. They turned out perfectly (had no trouble with the dough being too sticky or anything else). Saved the recipe and planning on making again and again! YUMMY!!!

17. Shahin says:

Hi, am desperate to try this yummy recipe! What does measurement C represent? And could I fry the donut holes? My sons are going to be soooo happy if this turns out right..! Could I half the quantities for my first attempt?

• Mika Mika says:

Hi Shahin! My recipes are listed with standard (U.S.A.) volumetric measurements.

T. = Tablespoon
      tsp. = teaspoono
      c. = cup

You can definitely fry the donut holes, but they will be done much faster… :) Hope this helps!

18. ima says:

Hi. I use Tang zhong for making bread. I must have read so many donut recipes that I lost count. Some say that the secret recipe is mashed potatoes but something tells me that I should keep searching. I have been contemplating on using tang zhong and boy am I glad to have stumbled on your website. My instinct is confirmed. I can’t wait to try it in the morning. Thank you so very much.

19. Christina Titus says:

Mika,

Are you serious?!! This turned out so so amazing. I could barely feel my teeth digging into the donut. I was worried initially as my dough had barely risen. It was just a slight swell. Went ahead anyhow.. and it was great. I still need to work on the neatness though. They were a bit misshapen. But its like straight from the baker. Im considering a business. So happy i came across your website.. going to try all your recipes..

• Mika Mika says:

Hi Christina! I’m so glad it worked out for you! :) Yay!

• Christina Titus says:

Wanted to make it continuously at a stretch after that but my 2 year caught his yearly winter viral fever. just recovered…all good now but anyhow any advice on how to work on perfectly shaped donuts? thanks Mika..

• Mika Mika says:

The only thing I can think of… after you cut your donut shapes with the cookie cutter and allow to rise, handle the dough very delicately with a thin spatula. Don’t pick up the donut shaped dough with your fingers… or the dough will stretch out. Just slide the spatula under, carefully lift up, and gently place in the oil. Hope this helps!

20. Alicia Stack says:

Hi,
    Do you have any advice on kneading the dough by hand. I do not have a bread machine and was gonna do it the old fashioned way, using my hands, any pointers???? Thank you in advance, ;)

Hi Alicia,
      If you are kneading by hand, then I would just work the dough – folding inward and pushing down as you go – for a good 15-20 minutes. When you stretch the dough, you want to be able to form a “windowpane” that does not break. Make sure you allow the dough to rest, covered, in a warm place (I like the inside of a cold oven, with the oven light turned on). Hope this helps! Good luck! :)

21. che says:

Hi Mika,
    are you using active dry or instant yeast? thank you so much..

22. Kathryn says:

My dough was also way too sticky – I went back to the recipe and what I had done was add all of the tangzhong that I had made (I was only supposed to add 1/2 C). So I just doubled the other ingedients – turned out perfect. Thanks for a Great Yummy Recipe Mika!

23. Jan says:

Followed your recipe to the letter, and they were perfect. Yes the dough was very soft in the beginning but seems like all sweet dough is like that. Don’t miss a step….. just follow the recipe. This is now my Go-To-Donut recipe. Thank you so much for sharing.

24. Jan says:

Made this donut recipe last night and of course they were amazing. This was my first time making donuts! We made small ones and we had tons left-over. I froze a bag of them and this morning I put a frozen one in the microwave for about 8 seconds. It was like it had just come out of the frying pan. Soft fluffy and Wonderful. Can’t wait to make them again and just freeze the whole batch. Thank you again for the amazing recipe.

25. Bernardo says:

Hi, I’m form Colombia, South America. And I have been looking and tried for so many raised donuts recipes, but yours is awesome and delicious, just what I have spected.
    Thank you for sharing this recipe.

Do you know if this recipe works for a very small business (artisan)?

• Mika Mika says:

Hi Bernardo! Thanks for your comments. I don’t see why this recipe wouldn’t work for a small business… the only thing to keep in mind is that donuts are products that go stale quickly, so you would want to make a fresh batch frequently and would need to make sure you sell your donuts the same day for the best flavor.

26. Sarah says:

Hi Mika,

You mentioned on your previous comments that you use active dry yeast. Can I use instant dry yeast instead? If so, do I need to adjust it or just use the same amount which is 2tsp of active dry yeast? Thank you for sharing this recipe.

27. christine says:

any thoughts on refridgerating the dough overnight?

• Mika Mika says:

Hi Christine! You could try refrigerating the dough overnight – I would do it right after the first rise (punch down). Don’t store it more than 12 hours, otherwise the dough might get too tough. Let it come to room temperature, then roll out and cut into shapes and continue. I’ve never tried to make the dough ahead of time… but I think it should work… let me know how it turns out if you try it! :)

28. Takumi says:

This recipe is absolutely perfect! I’ve always been afraid of making donuts from past mishaps and mistakes and these just turned out so well. The texture is fluffy and yummy and took no time at all to make, a lot of the donut recipes I’ve looked at called for over night resting and all this fancy pancy stuff that just never worked out. Thank you thank you thank you. I almost cried when they puffed up nicely when frying and again, thank you. :3

• Mika Mika says:

Hi Takumi! Thanks so much for the feedback, I’m glad it worked out for you. One of the things I’m trying to do with my blog is to make recipes easy to follow and understand for normal people like you and me! :)

29. Natalee says:

Do you prepare the yeast first or just measure it right out the pack when there isn’t anything added ?

• Mika Mika says:

I add the yeast (dry) directly on top of the flour when using my bread machine to make the dough. If you are kneading and mixing by hand, you can add the yeast 10 min ahead of time to some of the liquid in the recipe before mixing the dough together.

30. Christina says:

Amazing recipe! They turned out great… I have translated your recipe into Danish (both mesurements and products are different) and posted it on my blog for others to enjoy :-) Thank you!

31. Rosa says:

Hi! So I just cut out my donuts and they are rising. How thick should they be when they are ready to fry? The first time I made these they were all less than an inch, most around half an inch after an hour of rising.

Hi Rosa,
      The thickness depends on how thin you rolled the dough before you cut them. If they are nice and puffy, I would go ahead and fry them – they will puff up a bit while in the hot oil too.

32. Jen says:

Can this Homemade Glazed Donuts (Krispy Kreme Doughnut Copycat Recipe) be baked instead of fried?

• Mika Mika says:

Technically, yes. You could certainly bake the donut shaped dough cut outs. However, your end result would end up more like bread dipped in glaze – not quite a donut. The texture and taste of a glazed donut come from the frying process. If you cut out the frying, and bake instead, you will end up with a dry-ish donut shaped piece of “sweet bread”.

Dough + oil/frying = donut.
      Dough + no oil/baking = bread.

33. Wendy Liu says:

Hey Mika! I was wondering what brand of all purpose flour you used? Last time I made these with the Gold Medal brand, and it was very dry and not fluffy at all. I have some King Arthur Unbleached All Purpose on hand, will that work better? Thank you!

• Mika Mika says:

Hi Wendy! I buy all purpose flour in the GIANT sack from Costco. The dough should not be dry… Check to make sure you are fluffing up or sifting your flour before scooping in the measuring cup and leveling off with a straight spatula. Do not tap the cup or tamp the flour down – this can change the dry:wet ratio and cause problems. Also make sure your yeast is fresh and alive – otherwise a lack of rising (from dead yeast) could make the texture less fluffy.

• Christina Titus says:

Hi Mika.. I wanted to ask you about how you measure your flour. I tried scooping the flour from the box(I didnt fluff it or sift it before scooping). Another batch i made i had sifted the flour into the cup. I got a softer and better result by sifting the flour into the cup. Of course the dough was harder to handle but much softer result. My question is – Is sifting into the cup different from fluffing or sifting the flour and then scooping it out in terms of amount of flour? What would you recommend.

• Mika Mika says:

You have to be very careful when you measure flour, and you need to make sure you do it the same way every time – otherwise you will have a different amounts of flour than what is called for in the recipe.
          (This is why a lot of people insist that weighing your flour is better than using volumetric measurements – and they are not wrong BTW!)

1. Using a spoon or the edge of your measuring cup, fluff up the flour in the bag/box/canister – you need to loosen it up so that you are not scooping tightly packed flour.
          2. Scoop up the flour that you have fluffed with the measuring cup.
          3. DO NOT TAP THE CUP AGAINST SOMETHING TO SETTLE THE FLOUR – if you do so, you will pack the flour down, and end up with way too much flour – which will give you a drier and harder final product.
          4. Use a straight edge – either the back side of a knife, a cake frosting spatula, or a chopstick – and sweep it across the top of the cup to level off the excess flour back into the bag or canister.

• Christina Titus says:

Thanks Mika.. I think it will be easier for me this way too… Will weigh the amount too and check with you again…

34. Christina Titus says:

Hey Mika,
    Any chance this recipe can be vegan? Would you by any chance know how to replace the egg? I have a lot of friends who are vegetarian. So half of my friends cant enjoy these at or little tea parties…these donuts are such a hit BTW!!
    Looking forward to hear from you…

Thanks

35. Christina Titus says:

i just came across these egg replacer suggestions.. Which of these do you think would work best for the donut.? I thought of the mashed potatoes. How does the flaxseed option work? Would love to hear your opinion.
    Thanks Mika.

36. Christina Titus says:

Hey Mika,
    I made the eggless version. If I hadnt already had the original recipe (with egg), I would have thought this was awesome. The dough is not as sticky as the original, but yet still soft, making it very easy to handle. It doesn’t taste the same either… But this is only in comparison with the original otherwise it’s good too. I only wish it would have been as light as the original…Do you think if the water content in the substitute (i.e. the Oil / water), is increased- it will work?
    Thanks
    Christina

• Mika Mika says:

I’m glad it worked out for you. You could try increasing the oil by another T. and see what happens… couldn’t hurt right?

37. Rachel says:

Hi Mika i was just wondering does the milk need to be warm so the yeast will rise ?

Thanks
    Rachel

Hi Rachel,
      If you are using a bread machine to make the dough – then no, the milk does not need to be warm. However, if you are mixing by hand – then it might be a good idea to warm the milk slightly – not too hot – maybe just a little bit warmer than lukewarm.

• Rachel says:

thank you that really helps – i’ve made it and it tasted delightful – best recipe i’ve found in years

38. Mrs. Kolca says:

Donuts esp. KK’s are just too sweet these days. I have to restrict myself and my daughter from eating them. Thanks I found this recipe of yours. Will try it soon but of course will reduce the sugar. Hope my donuts will turn out fine. Good luck to me! :D

• Mika Mika says:

If you want to reduce the sweetness… instead of reducing the sugar in the glaze, maybe coat the donuts with less glaze… like a small amount drizzled over the top instead of dunking the donuts into the glaze. If you reduce the sugar in the glaze it will end up more liquid like and will not set.

• Mrs. Kolca says:

Oh, I just read your reply now. I already tried it last weekend. Yeah, the glaze set but it eventually melted. I know I wasn’t able to follow every step, doing my donuts in a hurry. Anyway, I blogged about my first attempt and the link is below :)

• Mika Mika says:

Yeah, I do not think it’s a good idea to alter the ratio of sugar to liquid in the glaze, because it will be liquid and not set if you change the ratio to be less sugar. Also, I’m not sure what you changed with the butter… but the butter is actually really important, as it gives a certain texture to the dough. I noticed in your picture the donuts did not rise as much… and this could be why. The dough will usually be “tighter” without the appropriate amount of fat in the dough itself. Also, all fried donuts do go stale within a day, so you will always find that the next day donuts become stale and harder… these are not meant for long term storage. That’s why donut stores make their donuts in the early a.m. hours right before opening, and discard the day old donuts at the end of the day.

39. Just found you…and I live in San Diego (city/Hillcrest) Small world! Pinning these b/c they look amazing and I love KK donuts! Beautiful job on these!

40. Sharmin says:

Greetings from Bangladesh. I was looking for a copycat recipe for Krispy Kreme donuts. My hubby loved to eat these when he was living in the US. Now that we are in Bangladesh the only way to get these donuts is make them. Can I substitute butter with margarine in this recipe?

• Mika Mika says:

Hi there! Yes, you can probably substitute the butter with margarine. I’m not a huge fan of margarine though… I consider it to be “plastic”, plus it usually has salt in it – which you cannot control. ;) My first choice of substitution for the butter would probably be coconut oil. So if you can use coconut oil instead, I would go with that. If not, then you can try the margarine – but omit the salt for sure, and keep in mind your dough might have a salty flavor.

• Sharmin says:

Hi Mika! I made these donuts today and I must thank you!! Although I ended up using margarine instead of butter, these donuts tasted impeccable. I had some problems shifting the donuts to the frying pan, they just didn’t hold their shape but that didn’t affect the taste or texture. These donuts are light and fluffy, unlike the ones they sell here in Bangladesh which taste like glazed breads! My hubby loved it and said these tasted almost exactly like the donuts he used to have in the US. Next time I’ll try using butter and see if they taste even better. Thanks a bunch!

• Mika Mika says:

Hi There! I’m so glad it worked out for you! Yes, the donuts are very delicate once they have risen. To transfer the donuts to the hot oil for frying, I use a very thin spatula: slide it under the donut and gently lift into the hot oil. Hope this helps, and thanks for the feedback!

41. mark says:

i made these today and was so surprised with how well they turned out! i made them by hand, and found the dough to be a little sticky before kneading, but just added a little flour periodically during the kneading and it became easier to work with. they were very fluffy and light after frying. i would like to know how to make them crispier on the outside while still being fluffy on the inside. i had the right temperature for the oil, but thought maybe popping the dough into the freezer for a spell might help or would that counteract the yeast?

• Mika Mika says:

Hi there. I don’t know that chilling the dough before you fry them would help make the outside any “crispier”. Generally, donuts are not crispy on the outside – if you are referring to Krispy Kremes specifically, the glaze on the outside gets a little crusty as it dries off… but I wouldn’t call the donut itself crispy. My recipe produces a soft, fluffy donut. I’m not sure what to tell you, but I’m thinking you might be looking for something more like a cruller – something made with a more choux-like pastry dough.

42. Cris says:

Hey Mika,
    I tried your recipe yesterday and I simply loved it! Fantastic. Thanks!
    I just had to add a lot more water in the glaze recipe than the original one. I tried the 2 T at first, but it didn’t work at all. I was able to get the right texture after adding some more water. The final result was a more transparent glaze, easily cracking. Not so beautiful as the one posted here. They were delicious, indeed. So, it didn’t bother me but if I could get the same thickness of yours, I would be a lot happier. Once again, thank you for sharing this piece of heaven!

• Mika Mika says:

You didn’t get the same thickness because you added too much water to the glaze! :) I know it may seem too dry at first, but keep stirring, and your glaze will turn out exactly the same as mine if you use the correct proportion of ingredients. Make sure you are using Tablespoons (not teaspoons), and do NOT tamp your powdered sugar down in the cup. Just gently scoop the powdered sugar into the cup and level off with a flat edge.

43. Missy says:

I tried this recipe and the doughnuts were absolutely superb! So soft and airy. I used a maple sugar glaze and cinnamon-sugar toppings and my family loved it! Thanks again for sharing this recipe. :)

44. Nieves says:

hello, I made the donuts with your recipe. are perfect and delicious. I made my version in Spanish. I invite you to my blog so you can see them. thank you very much for sharing your recipe, it’s great

45. Susan says:

How would this delicious recipe turn out if not using a bread maker?’
    I may have to buy another bread machine!! just to devour these calories.
    Found you on Huffington Post. Congratulations on one of 13.

• Mika Mika says:

Hi Susan! You can definitely make these donuts without the bread machine… the bread machine just makes it easier because it does the bulk of the dough workout for you (mixing, kneading, rising, etc.). Thanks for the comment! :)

46. Wilmer says:

What 4T means?

• Mika Mika says:

“4 T.” means 4 Tablespoons.
      “T” = standard abbreviation for Tablespoon (1 T = ~14.8 mL).
      “tsp.” = standard abbreviation for teaspoon (1 tsp. = ~4.9 mL).

47. Christina Titus says:

hey Mika,

Long time. I’ve been considering getting a kitchenaid stand mixer. Its a 4 1/2 Quart bowl capacity. Do you think it can contain kneading this dough recipe? your thoughts?

Thanks
    Christina

• Mika Mika says:

Probably? 4.5 quarts is a pretty decent sized bowl… does it come with a dough hook? The nice thing about the kitchenaid stand mixers are the different attachments – the dough hook works pretty well. I previously had a professional bowl lift model (which I thought was too difficult to use) and am considering getting the professional tilt head model in the future…

• Christina Titus says:

This does come with a dough hook, along with a tilt head. I am ordering this via amazon. This doesnt ship to India, so im asking my brother in San Jose to ship it to me, hence the apprehension. I’ve been making these donuts a lot recently kneading manually…its quiet a work out :) thought i may as well get a kitchenaid. Hear its very durable.
        Thanks for your quick response, Mika.

48. Christina Titus says:

Mika, I have a question. Can I double the recipe in quantity? do you think the stand mixer can handle kneading 5 cups of flour and the rest of the ingredients?

• Mika Mika says:

I’m not sure, since I’ve never made it in a stand mixer, and I don’t currently own one… You can try it? If you do, I would start by putting the ingredients for one batch in the stand mixer, and see how manageable it is. If you have plenty of room, then add the extra ingredients to double the batch. If not, then you could just do two batches back-to-back since you will have to take the kneaded dough out of the mixer anyways to allow it to rise.

49. Christina Titus says:

I have this event coming up and im planning to make your donuts for it. About 300 of them. Iv been planning on how i can simplfy on the whole process. One of it was reducing the kneading my stand mixer would have to do. Hence I asked. Will try as you suggested. thank a mill, Mika, This donut is such a hit.

• Mika Mika says:

You’re welcome! Good luck – that’s a lot of donuts… I hope people appreciate all your effort!

50. Falya says:

Hi mika! (:
    I tried this super donut recipe 4 times and always happy with the results ( although the dough was a bit sticky so i added up to 1/2 cup flour ) but the texture always sooo good! Fluffy, airy, soft, you name it! My classmate and my family love it! In indonesia i cant buy krispy kreme donut too often because there is just 1 outlet here but thanks to you i can make my own!
    Guess what, now i making it again!
    Thanks for the beautiful recipe, love from indonesia!

51. wi says:

If not using machine, should I dissolve yeast in water?

• Mika Mika says:

If you are mixing the ingredients by hand, yes, you can dissolve the yeast 5 minutes before mixing into the liquid called for in the recipe.

• wi says:

you mean,I mix yeast and all purpose flour 1st before I mix it with liquid ingredient?

• Mika Mika says:

No. You can mix only the yeast with only the liquid first, 5 minutes before mixing that into all the rest of the ingredients (including the flour)… IF you are mixing by hand.

52. novi says:

Can I use milk on tanzhong recipe? Thanks

• Mika Mika says:

Yes, you can use milk in the tangzhong – but you don’t have to. Water works just as well, so there really isn’t a good reason to use milk unless you are trying to use it up.

53. Aisha says:

Dear Mika,
    Just found this recipe and the donuts turned our perfect! Has a rocky start with a power cut just when I had measured out all the ingredients and was going to start the mixer. Not unusual for Maldives. Anyways, I tried kneading the dough with my hands and it was impossible. Just a messy goo. The power came back in 10 minutes and I followed the recipe with the mixer. Surprisingly, the messy goo transformed into a very manageable soft dough. Also I could not be bothered to powder sugar so just used icing sugar. It required an extra table spoon of water but taste wise, great, consistency great as well. THe donuts turned out just like the Krispy Kreme ones. Sooooooo delighted. Thanks!

• Mika Mika says:

Yay! So glad it worked out in the end! I’ve never tried to hand mix the dough… it can be done… but machines definitely make it easier! ;)

54. George says:

Hi Mika! First time to make donuts and I was delighted by the result! They were so soft after frying :) 2 questions though. 1) is it okay if i freeze the dough so I can fry them maybe 1 or 2 days after? 2) since it’s my first time to work with dough, im not sure how much it should rise. Mine rose by around 1/8 of an inch only. What i did was follow your instructions except that I initially mixed all the ingredients in a stand mixer then kneaded it manually for 15minutes. Any tips? :) Thank you so much!

• Mika Mika says:

I’m not sure if you can freeze the dough – I’ve never done it. You can try it and see if it works out? When I make these, my donuts rise quite a bit… but it depends on how thin you roll the dough initially. If you roll the dough too thin, then they will not rise as much. But climate and temperature also matter. So if your kitchen is not that warm, then you may need to find a warmer place for them to rise (like the inside of a cold oven with the light bulb turned on).

55. George says:

By the way, my donuts were a lot harder after a day. Not like krispy kreme. Is it because my dough didn’t rise enough? :) Thanks in advance!

• Mika Mika says:

Yes, homemade donuts will always be harder the next day due to lack of preservatives. But if your dough did not rise very well initially, and your donuts were more dense as a result, this could be a contributing factor.

56. Lynette Hardy says:

Can these be baked instead of fried?

• Mika Mika says:

Technically yes, you could bake them. But then you would have sugar-glazed bread, not donuts. I’m not sure they would taste that great, and they certainly wouldn’t be donuts.

57. Hadassah says:

My 12 year old grandson isa budding baker and has been bugging me to make doughnuts. I keep putting him off~ not telling him that mine NEVER turn out. After reading your recipe and cooking tips I can see why not. Hanukkah is coming and I KNOW we are going to be making these! (I will practice first without and audience :-) Thanks so much!!

58. Gail March says:

After reading so many of the comments, I decided I had to make these. Wow….what a breeze!! I have never made donuts before…in fact I didn’t even have a doughnut cutter…. but with a little ingenuity , I managed. These are absolutely amazing and simply DELISH !!!

59. alyanna says:

Hi Mika! Can I use instant dry yeast instead of active dry yeast? And when I do, should I skip the punch down process? I’ve read it online that instant dry yeast does not require another rising. This is my first time making a donut, really thank you for your easy to understand recipe :)

• Mika Mika says:

Hi there. I’m not really sure… I’ve never used instant yeast instead of regular active dry yeast. You can certainly try it and see how it turns out?

60. Missy M says:

Thanks so much for this! We made these tonight and they were great! I just have a few questions… If using a bread machine, do I need to have the yeast and butter at room temperature, or can I add them straight from the fridge? Also the glaze was pretty salty and the vanilla was strong. Is this how yours tastes as well or could I have done something wrong? I am pretty sure I added the correct amounts to the glaze. My family gobbled these up and wants me to make them again :)

• Mika Mika says:

Hi there. Most bread machines have a “warm up” function, so you probably can use ingredients straight from the refrigerator. If you find the glaze to bee too salty for your liking you can cut back or omit the salt. Make sure you are only using 1/2 teaspoon of salt… using an actual 1/2 teaspoon measuring spoon though. If you eyeball it, you could end up with too much salt.

61. Anisah says:

HI there Mika,

I made the donut yesterday and it was a success just a quick question….i left the donut for the second rise for abt 2 hours (because its cold here in beijing. however the donuts are hard to be transfer to the frying pan. and it ended up out of shape. any tips? or should i not left it for 2 hours? because i think the bigger the better hahaha :P but the donut holes came out perfect i fry them up and they didnt go out of shape. lemm know what you think about it thanks

• Mika Mika says:

Yes, this is a delicate dough. That’s why you have to flour the surface the donuts are rising on (so they don’t stick)… and then slide a very flat spatula underneath so that you don’t mess up the shape of the dough.

62. chacha says:

hai. what does T stands for? is it tablespoon?

63. chacha says:

hey. does the milk evaporated or condensed milk?

• Mika Mika says:

The milk in this recipe is just regular plain milk – whatever you have in the refrigerator. I normally use 1% milk, but you can use skim, or whole too.

Do NOT use “evaporated” or “condensed” milk in place of REGULAR MILK, or you will have very odd results.

64. Bharat says:

Hey
    i had the following problems while making the donuts
    a. the dough did not exactly double in size. it barely rose. i tried the same multiple times with different batches of yeast but to no avail. i knead the dough by hand and kept the dough enclosed under a vessel to rise. we have a very cold climate here. was that the reason? or was the dough too tough?
    b. i went ahead and cut the dough into shapes and kept it in a warm oven. that time they did rise a bit. although when i fried them, a sort of a shell separated from the main mass of the donut. so basically if you cut a section, there was the top shell, then the mass then the bottom shell.
    please help!

• Mika Mika says:

I’m not sure what didn’t work for you. If your dough didn’t rise, it sounds like a problem with the yeast or the rising environment. You need a warm environment (with oxygen present) for yeast to grow. Remember that yeast are unicellular organisms, and the temperature & humidity must be ideal – on top of that they need to breathe. If you kept the dough enclosed under a vessel, you may have not given the yeast enough oxygen. Also, if it’s too cold, your yeast will not rise at all. Thirdly, if the dough doesn’t have enough “flexibility” to it (did you add too much flour or not enough moisture?) then it will be too stiff for the CO2 gas produced by the yeast to raise it at all. This should be a very sticky dough, so if you added too much flour to it during hand kneading, that could be part of the problem. The dough has to remain moist. Too much flour will toughen it up and it won’t work (and you’ll have tough bread like donuts).

Also, I’ve never made this without eggs before. You can try to omit the egg and maybe add a tablespoon of soy flour + 1.5 T. water instead… but you’ll have to play around with the recipe.

• bharat says:

hey
        thanks for the prompt reply
        the dough was sticky but i added flour because the hand kneading was tough. i guess that was the problem. will try working the recipe as it is and let you know. i will try keeping the dough open in a slightly warmed oven since the climate here is too cold.
        once again thanks for the prompt reply.

65. Bharat says:

Also, could you please tell me what could be a substitute for the egg if i want eggless donuts.
    thanks.

66. Julie Garcia says:

Have you considered tweaking this recipe to make a chocolate version. I would love it if you did! My kids love chocolate Krispy Keene donuts. If it’s really simple to do, please tell me how. :)

67. Taneisha says:

I just finish making these donuts. When I say they are so sweet, light and airy I truly mean it. I don’t have a bread machine, so I made these in my stand mixer. They came out great. I would take a picture but they were gone in literally 5 minutes. I did half the dough and wrapped the rest in plastic wrap to set in the fridge until the morning. This is the 3rd donut recipe I’ve tried, && this is by far the best..

68. Jd says:

Hi Does one just dump the yeast into the dry ingreditents??Or does it have to be dissolved with water….using reg yeast.

• Mika Mika says:

Yes, if you are using a bread machine, then dump the yeast on top of the dry ingredients. If you are mixing by hand, then you might dissolve the yeast into (room temperature) milk before mixing the dough together.

69. Linda says:

Hi, I was wondering where you purchased your donut cutter that you used for these donuts? I really would like to find one like this…

70. Emily says:

These look delicious. I’d like to try them for a church function this weekend. Have you ever made them as bismarcks and filled them? I can’t tell if they would be too delicate to fill since they’re so fluffy.

• Mika Mika says:

No, I’ve never made them as filled donuts – but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work? You can always try it and see… if it doesn’t work out with filling, you could just glaze them and eat them as-is so it wouldn’t be a total waste of ingredients.

71. Ted says:

What does “Until it can be stretched like a window pane” mean? I’ve been mixing with a fork (no mixer) for twenty mins. and it is still like cake batter.

• Mika Mika says:

In order to make dough, you have to knead it – not just stir it. Kneading is a process where you fold the dough over, while pushing it down – then repeating that process over and over, for a certain period of time. This builds up the gluten in the dough to create that bread like texture. If you mixed it with a fork and it’s like “cake batter” it sounds like there is way too much moisture in there, and you haven’t developed any gluten. You don’t want to use a mixed with beater attachments to make dough – either knead with your hands, use a hook attachment on a mixer, or use a bread machine. Once you knead the dough properly, if you take a piece and stretch it thin – you should have an area that is thin enough to somewhat see through – without the dough breaking. That is how you know that you have developed enough gluten in the dough.

• Ted says:

Mika,
        Thanks for the quick reply. I finally understand what I “knead” to do, go out and buy a bread machine.

72. Jenny R says:

Hi Mika, I make all my homemade breads using a stand mixer and my hands.. The old fashion way ..lol.. It would be great if you could give step instructions on how to incorporate ingredients that way instead of just saying to ” dump everything in a bread machine.” I am excited to try the recipe and am going to try to figure out how to make it by hand mixer from looking at the recipe. Thanks :)

• Mika Mika says:

It isn’t tricky. Basically you just mix all the ingredients together and knead it until the dough is ready.
      If you are familiar with baking bread and making bread dough by hand… you just follow the same process. Combine ingredients and knead for 15 minutes or so, then cover and rise for about an hour, then punch down and allow a second rise.

73. Mabel says:

hello there, i found your recipe and i wanted to ask if this recipe can be done in a doughnut maker?

anyway i tried this already and its really amazing, it really taste good and soft.
    the reason i ask if this can be done in a doughnut maker because the i made really taste good but i having a problem with the shape. hehehe i planning to sell my doughnut if the shape will be perfect.

i hope you can help me. thank you so much.

p.s.
    i printed all your recipe for keep.

• Mika Mika says:

Do you mean a donut baking appliance? You could try it, but the donut will be more like bread than a fried confection.

The dough is really soft and fluffy, so if you are worried about the shape, the best thing to do its make sure the bottom of the dough is heavily floured before cutting out the rounds, then use a large flat metal spatula to slowly (and gently) slide under the cut out donut before carefully dunking into the hot oil.

• Mabel says:

yes ma’am, i used the appliance last night your correct, it taste like a bread or a waffle NOT really a doughnut. i guess ill used the same method as what you said on your procedure. and thanks for the advice on how to have a good shape for doughnut.

• Mika Mika says:

Yeah, that’s what I figured. I know a lot of people REALLY want a good recipe for a “baked” glazed donut… but then it’s not a donut, it’s “bread” with frosting on it. :(

• mabel says:

yeah your really right…hahahah from now on i will follow all your instructions. i just too dependent on the net to learn how to bake because i have no time to go to school and its not a regret. i can bake without going to school of baking.

74. Jaime Brown says:

These were DELICIOUS!

I was a little surprised by how long they took but the light, airy, gooey centers were TO. DIE. FOR! Thanks for doing the legwork on this one, they were awesome. I loved them so much I even blogged about them over on my blog too!

75. abbygail says:

I was happy to have found the recipe. It had last fuss then the other I saw online and tried. But I dont know what am doing wrong. I tried it 2 times already the dough is so soft it keeps sticking to my hand to my board to the roller everyting. Today I even added 4T of flower extra and then let the breadmachine (cuz that is what am using) do his thing again. The dough rised well the second time but still very sticky.

The time I let the dough rest is that a problem. Maybe if I let it rest to long it get softer ?
    And is it maybe possible if you can convert the measurement in grams en ml for me cause I did it myselfs by a online site maybe thats also a reason.

I really wanna try it for the third time. Usually I give up already but I just wanna figure this thing out. Maybe also because I life in a country now…where there are NO DOUGHNUTS. CAN YOU IMANGE THAT. PFF

Thank you so much.

Greetings

• Mika Mika says:

When you roll out the dough, it will be very sticky – it is supposed to be that way. Because of this, you must make sure you flour the counter, and the top of your dough generously. Do not add extra flour to the dough itself, or it will not be light and fluffy. You also do not want to let the dough rest too long, or it will start to develop gluten.

So, handle the dough gently with plenty of flour to prevent sticking, and when cutting the dough and transferring the dough to the oil make sure you slide a thin spatula underneath so you do not disturb or distort the shape.

76. Olga says:

Hi! I’m from Serbia, and we do not have Krispy Kreme here, but I grew up on Dunkin’ Donuts in New Zealand And thought they were perfect until one trip to England when I dicovered the wonders of Krispy Kreme’s glazed donuts. I’m going to try out this recipe for sure!
    Here’s a little advice used here in Serbia when making donuts: if you leave the donuts to rise for an hour, then leave them to rise 30 minutes on one side and 30 minutes on the other so that they will rise evenly.
    I will describe the outcome when I’ve tried out the recipe!
    Thanks!

77. Teresa says:

Loooove this recipe!!!!! I cut your tangzong recipe in half when I actually made it, and the one batch made 24 donuts plus donut holes. I used your glaze, but also covered some in cinnamon sugar AND I even filled some with raspberry pie filling. They didn’t even last 24 hours! Thx!!! Definitely keeping this recipe, beats any donut shop donut 100%.

78. Azriey says:

Hi. I’ve tried your doughnut recipe and this is the best so far. I tried other recipe before and the doughnuts were soft a few hours after I fried it. But this one, it’s still soft until the sun sets (I made it early in the morning). But I’m a little confused with the measurements. I think I added too much yeast because my doughnuts is a bit sour. And what is the difference between T and Ts?

It would be great if you could convert the cups measuring with grams or oz. This recipe is awesome!

79. loni says:

Um I tried your donuts and krispy creme donuts and just your donuts taste a little bit better just I had more glaze left so couldn’t we put the whole donut in the glaze?

• Mika Mika says:

Thank you! :) Sure, if you have leftover glaze and you prefer to dip both sides of the donut – you certainly can!

80. Nazia says:

Hi! I am planning to make these tomorrow and I have a few questions about this recipe. Can I use the same amount of shortening instead of unsalted butter? I have read that using shortening results in a softer texture. Also, when I tried making donuts before (using another recipe), my dough didn’t rise properly. I’m afraid the same thing will happen this time. I have a feeling it is the brand of yeast I use. Maybe it’s not very powerful? Any tips on how to make the dough rise perfectly? Should I up the amount of active dry yeast?

• Mika Mika says:

Hi there. Yes, you can use shortening instead of butter. As far as your yeast – brand shouldn’t matter much, but if your yeast is expired or was stored improperly, the yeast may be dead. Yeast is alive, and water + environment will reactivate the yeast, the yeast will eat the carbohydrates in your dough and create gas (CO2) which will then leaven your dough. Also, you need to make sure that your rising environment is warm (not cold, and not too hot). Do not increase the yeast in the recipe.

81. Nazia says:

Also, what kind of yeast do you use in your recipe? Active dry or instant or fresh?

82. Vicky Borg says:

hi can you bake this recipe instead of frying?

• Mika Mika says:

Any dough can be baked instead of fried… but your outcome may not be what you expect. Baked yeast dough is bread. So if you bake them, you will end up with a sweet donut shaped bread that you will have glazed… it might be ok, but it certainly won’t be a donut!

83. Katya says:

Hi Mika,
    These donuts look amazing! can’t wait to try it!!!! Hey, any order on putting the dough ingredients into the bread maker? Thanks!

• Mika Mika says:

No… I just put all the wet ingredients in the bottom, flour on top. Then create a well in the flour, and put the dry yeast into that well, then turn it on!

84. nazia says:

Hi, it’s me again. I have made these twice and I wanted to share my experience.

The first time, I followed your instructions to the T, but was very apprehensive while kneading the dough because the entire thing was way too sticky to handle. Also, the yeast granules didn’t dissolve. They were pretty visible in the dough. But I figured they would dissolve during rising and frying, so I didn’t worry too much. I encountered a few problems here. For one, my dough hardly rose. Two, I couldn’t roll the dough without it sticking to my fingers or rolling pin every few seconds (even after generously dusting with flour). By this point, I was expecting a major disaster, but surprisingly, the end products were pretty good, all things considered. The donuts were light and fluffy, BUT the yeast granules hadn’t dissolved as I had hoped. The otherwise great taste was marred by the sour yeasty flavor. And I had to spit out the undissolved granules.

I made these again today and I was determined to get it right this time. I proofed the yeast. I measured everything perfectly. But I made a stupid mistake. I added the entire tang zhong instead of only half. So I had to add about 7 – 8 more tbsp flour. Apart from this mistake, this time, everything went smooth. The dough was not too sticky and the fried donuts were heavenly. They are softer than the ones I get from the local bakery. My dad, who is really hard to please, ate these without any adverse comment.

So, thanks Mika for posting this lovely recipe. This is my default donut recipe from now on!

• Mika Mika says:

If you aren’t using a bread machine, you will need to dissolve the yeast in the liquid before proceeding. And yes, the dough is supposed to be very sticky – that’s part of what makes the donuts light and fluffy. Glad it worked out for you in the end! :)

85. Lexa says:

Finally! A recipe that doesn’t make a gazillion servings! (Not that that’s a bad thing.) Going to try this a.s.a.p.

86. Cathy says:

What an amazing recipe! I have tried so many “copycat Krispy Kreme” recipes but they have been disappointing but yours, I must say (and my husband too) thinks this is by far the best recipe for a copycat. Thank you for sharing it. I have a feeling now that my husband has tasted these, I will be making them a lot.

87. melissa says:

Can the dough be made and put in the fridge to overnight? Then make the doughnuts in the morning?
    it looks amazing, I have never made a dough with the tangzhong, but I am excited to try.

• Mika Mika says:

Yes, you can refrigerate the dough overnight – but I wouldn’t keep it any longer than that otherwise too much gluten will develop and the dough won’t be light and fluffy.

88. Cristi says:

Hi! Im dying to try these donuts out, but I am very nervous about the dry yeast not proofing the right way. I will be using a stand mixer with a dough hook. Should I heat up the milk to 110 F to proof the yeast, or just stir in in with the liquid before adding the water roux and the flour?

• Mika Mika says:

You don’t need to heat up the milk, just don’t use cold milk and it should be fine. (You will be allowing the dough to rise in a warm place.)

89. agleah says:

i am a food technologist and loved much cooking then found you’re recipe and i found it so interesting… tnxxx.♥
    ill be trying this!

Trackbacks

1. [...] Nutmeg Donuts with Berry Icing from The Vintage Mixer Krispy Kreme Copycat Recipe from The 350 Degree Oven Old-Fashioned Sour Cream Donuts from Christie’s Corner Apple Cider Donuts [...]

2. [...] Doughnuts with Krispy Kreme Style Glaze [...]

3. [...] 3 —- Get Recipe source: [...]

4. [...] Chocolate White Chocolate Chip Cookies via Ksayer Photography. 6. Krispy Kreme Original Glazed Donuts via The 350 Degree Oven. 7. Hostess Chocolate Cupcakes via Tammilee Tips. 8. Cinnabon Cinnamon [...]

5. [...] Amazing mouth-watering picture is thanks to The 350 Degree Oven [...]